August 14, 2010

Soulful Art by Steven Lopez

Today marks the 1 month birthday of my blog! I must thank all of you for supporting me, it has been a very fun month indeed! I have absolutely loved sharing my mind with you all and hopefully you all have loved what I have had to say. Anywho, let me get back to this post! 

The sheer talent that some people are blessed with never ceases to amaze me. I wish I had the ability to turn a canvas & streaks of paint into a pure masterpiece…but unfortunately, I was not born with that ability. However, a man by the name of Steven Lopez was. Steven Lopez is an amazing artist from Pasadena, California whose artwork is as soulful as the people portrayed in it. His project entitled the After Midnight series features soulful songstresses such as Jill Scott, Sade, Chaka Khan, Erykah Badu, & India.Arie. When one looks at these paintings, one can easily see that music is deeply seeded in Steven Lopez’s soul and that seed grows & flourishes into these dynamic and inspired pieces of art.
And I must say, Steven Lopez has exceptional taste in music. Neo-soul is my favorite genre of music so I am very familiar with all of the women in these paintings. When I listen to music by Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, & India.Arie, I get goose bumps. The music that these women produce is nothing short of amazing, and I feel that Steven Lopez really captured the raw emotion of each singer beautifully. Please enjoy my 3 favorite pieces from the After Midnight series & the videos of the pieces actually being created. In case you are not familiar with these 3 ladies, the first painting is of India.Arie entitled Strength, Courage and Wisdom, the second is of Erykah Badu entitled Amerykahn Promise, and the third is of Jill Scott entitled Hate On Me.





Because of his artistic point of view, Steven Lopez has most definitely got that good good.
Here are my favorite songs from each of these singers. Just press the little play button by each song & please enjoy!

Soldier by Erykah Badu
Not Like Crazy by Jill Scott


Just a quick update: I had actually e-mailed Steven Lopez telling him that I did a post about him on my blog, but I wasn’t expecting any reply. HOWEVER, to my lovely surprise, he e-mailed me back saying he checked out the post and thanking me for doing it! I was so happy :)


To check out more of Steven Lopez’s amazing work, visit his website by clicking here.



27 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by, you got a great blog yourself, I will be checking by...keep up the good work. If intrested in any particular color, send me an email...$10 per beret..stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I actually watched all 3 videos (I know I have no life lol) and happy 1 month birthday! I can't believe you've only been doing this for a month, you seem like a pro ;) heres to many more months of THAT GOOD GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love all the songs, i feel so inspired. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome blog!

    please check out my blog and follow it if you like it :)

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that's amazing! he's soo talented!
    who's your favourite artist? yeah definitely keep an eye on zadig & voltaire :)
    thankyou so much for commenting and stopping by! please follow if you like it :)

    www.monicarambles.blogspot.com

    Monica <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. @yankeenaijababe thanks! i will definitely be getting a beret sometime soon :)

    @alicia, it's okay girl. the videos are awesome! LOL and yes, hopefully many more months of That GG!

    @xtian ou, you always leave the sweetest comments, thank you so much i'm glad you feel inspired :)

    @kat, thanks! i'll be sure to check out your blog asap!

    @monica, i'm glad you like the post! my favorite artist is actually a woman by the name of Dawn Okoro, her work is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing art, reminds me of my brother-in-law's art, his name is Ibrahim and he was on Model City on BET recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so going to do a blog birthday..! congrats

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey i really like your blog its dope and i was wondering if you wanted to follow for follow ill follow you if you follow me im trying to reach 150. when you follow me just comment on one of my post letting me know so i can follow you back

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is fun! too much colour for me, but inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dee,

    Thank you for the visit and compliment, means much to me. I feel you on the genius women you mentioned, and Lopez's talent is undeniable. I love his use of lighting and shading techniques.

    Chadina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hes sooo talented. Thats, amazing. Never heard of him before, hun :-)

    http://www.julia-louise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wowwww wouldve never though a hispanic guy was the one behind those soulful photos. highly impressive

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these pieces :D
    www.thebrokenrobotz.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. absolutely HAWT! i love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG!!! Amazing post! Ilove s.Lopez and NEED one of his paintings in my life!

    http://model-misbehaviour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. AwEsOmE artist _ and P.S. you have mad
    playlist skills _ great taste in music.

    ReplyDelete
  18. very insparing artist, his paintings are so deep and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG ! I love these video, the artist is so amazingg ! And your blog is nice !
    Bise.♥
    Mathilde
    http://my-trendy-blog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanted to let you know about the new video I wrapped up. Enjoy!
    http://vimeo.com/14794754

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! Thank you so much for letting me know Mr. Lopez! I really appreciate it :) And the video was absolutely AMAZING, you did such a great job! I'll do a post on it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i feel like I can hear Jill singing in her painting! I love the expression of her mouth

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely loooooove your work. Im a poet and I've recently started my blog up and used one of your works as my background because of how much I love it. I just had to let you know!!!

    ReplyDelete

TWITTER ///// FACEBOOK ///// BLOGLOVIN'

Copyright © 2010-2015 That GOOD GOOD Blog. All Rights Reserved.