February 6, 2011

A Look Through My Lens, Part 2


First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the absolutely amazing and overwhelming feedback that A Look Through My Lens, Part 1 received. I got so many e-mails, messages, comments, tweets, etc. from a multitude of people from literally all around the world saying how inspiring the post was and how excited they are about this series. I too am very excited about this series and I appreciate all the love and support that you showed my first 2 photographers, Nakeya Brown & Shako Oteka. In addition to all the encouraging feedback that was sent my way, I received e-mails from many photographers saying that they were interested in being apart of the series. I wish I could tell you how happy it makes me to see so many limitlessly talented individuals wanting to be apart of something I brought about. So to all the photographers who contacted me, thank you so, so much. I look forward to working with each and every one of you.
 
For this second installment of A Look Through My Lens, I have 3 amazing photographers to share with you all. I plan on featuring anywhere from 2-4 photographers per post to ensure that everyone who contacted me and everyone I reached out to personally gets featured in as timely a manner as possible. These posts will be once a month, most likely during the first week of each month. I will try my hardest to be as consistent as possible. Now that I have all that out of the way, please allow me to introduce my 3 photographers: Rog Walker, King Texas & Chris Charles (Creative Silence). As in Part 1, I interviewed all the photographers and their responses to the questions I asked accompany their photos. Enjoy!



About a year and seven months ago, I didn’t know anything about photography. I’ve only been shooting for a year and a half. I didn’t even know what a DSLR camera was two years ago. But I’ve always been into art though; my background is actually in website design. I was doing that before I got into photography. A friend of mine had all these amazing photos and I reached out to him and asked him how his photos were so dope.  He taught me the basics of photography and the rest was self teaching.  It’s only been a year and a half and it’s been love. All love.
For me photography doesn't fall into a category, it falls into a goal. My goal is to communicate creativity. If that’s through an editorial, fine. If that is through landscape, that is fine too because the type always varies. For me, generally, fashion is an element of my photography. Fashion is one of the highest forms of communication in my opinion. It’s not the only type of photos that I take, but it is what I’m most known for.


The 3 words I would use to classify my style are the 3 C’s: communication, creativity, and completion because for me a complete shot is making sure all the elements of the image are taken into mind. My shots are complete, creative, and they communicate.
I love capturing identities. My favorite thing to capture in photos is the essence of the identity. There are so many creative people out there and it’s amazing to go out on a dope set and capture these individuals' style, their swag.


When asked which photographer I admire, Richard Avedon is the only photographer that I will ever mention. I have a book by him titled The Sixties sitting right on my bookshelf. It is full of these amazing portraits and truly iconic images. As you look through the book, you see all these great figures within the 60s but the greatest thing about it is that you feel you are being brought right into the era. He captured the essence of a point in time. The same way in which he captures the era is the same way I capture identity. I want my pictures to tell a story.
I shoot with a Canon 1Ds. I started shooting a year and a half ago with a D40x, that’s about as low as you can go. But I love photography so it wasn’t about having the best equipment; it was just about the photography. The most important thing is the thought and creativity. There is nothing that separates the look, what makes the image iconic is the thought.




I started shooting in 2005 and pursued it even more in 2007. It's definitely been a long journey. I got into photography for many different reasons. To see things differently, to heal, to grow, and to be more honest with the world and myself. I find the reasons change as you grow older. You can begin something and do it just for fun, then it turns into something serious, and before you know it you cannot live without doing it.
I try to take very sincere photos that reveal the story behind of whatever or whoever I am photographing. 


What are 3 words I would use to classify my photographic style? Growth. Progression. Honesty.
 What is my favorite thing to capture in photos? Energy.


I admire a lot of artists, not only photographers. I actually haven't been inspired by a current photographer in a very long time. I do admire these artists though (old and new): Brown Bomber (musician), Abcents (musician), Diane Arbus (photographer), Antoine D'Gata (photographer), Dante Fried Chicken, Jasmine Solano (DJ/Musician), Emilo Sparks (King!), and a lot of others.
I bought a Canon 5D a couple years ago. I purchased it because it was one of the cheapest professional cameras at the time. I wouldn't say I use it for any particular reason than it being digital. I also shoot with a 35MM Nikon FM 10 and I prefer that much more to digital. Unfortunately, film is very expensive. At the end of the day, the type of camera you have really doesn't matter. The artist behind the camera does. 





I've been involved with photography since I was about 10 years old. I can remember going on family vacations and being fascinated with the science and beauty of photography. Photography was always an important part of my family and upbringing. I soon developed a little obsession with my first SLR which was an old Olympus camera and the rest is history. I've been shooting professionally for about 3 years now. I initially pursued architectural photography as a hobby but it never dawned on me to place actual people within the compositions. When the lightbulb finally went off I decided to also let that be a style I incorporate in my work. Every session I do on location I try to use the environment as a compositional element. I try to be versatile and be skilled in natural light and studio lighting.
I specialize primarily in modern portraiture, fine art and wedding photography, however I dabble in product and I still life to include architecture and spaces. I also plan on getting more into hard core fashion work this year.



The 3 words I would use to classify my photographic style are timeless, minimalist and sound (technically). I believe it is important for photographers to study the craft and become technically sound. Know your equipment inside and out that way no situation is impossible when time to shoot. I think being able to convey emotion through the lens is paramount, and I am very adamant about my work from today being relevant not only today, but for years down the road. I think that is why I currently try to avoid over editing of images. I still want an organic and contrasty feel without my subjects not looking "real".
 I love capturing the human face and form through portraiture. There is something about a strong, ambiguous portrait that speaks volumes to me so I try to embody that in my work; the kind of portrait that leaves the viewer to imagine the mood of the subject at the time. I think the mark of a great photograph is the subtle nuances captured, a slight smirk, or the way an off camera gaze makes you wonder. I rarely make straight up "smile for the camera" portraits for my clients. I also enjoy a bit of abstract photography. I think it is good to be break the rules every now and then and experiment. This can be with composition, editing, etc. I like a slightly left of center style.




There are quite a few photographers whose work I admire. Kareem Black for his ability to ride the fine line between commercial photographer (Verizon, Gatorade) and pop culture photographer. Kwesi Abbensents of course for his use of color and the style of modern portraiture he does, Anne Leibovitz for her longevity in the industry and classic portraits of iconic figures. I can't forget the iconic Gordon Parkes, especially for his work with Time Magazine as well as James Van Der Zee for his classic images taken during the Harlem Renaissance. Also, just about any photographer who shoots for National Geographic (lol).
I currently shoot with a Canon 5DMKII and 40D. I've been using the Canon system for a few years now and I am very familiar with how they work. I love the way the 40D renders shadows and colors but the 5DMKII is amazing regarding detail and resolution. Plus it shoots high definition video. I am, however, not opposed to changing systems (Nikon). For my portrait work I like to stick with prime lenses. The 50mm 1.4 is something I use quite often.  I also plan on purchasing a medium format camera film camera this year.




1

52 comments:

  1. Yemi U.2/06/2011

    You DEFINITELY outdid yourself!!!!! These are some amazing photographers! WOW! I am really impressed. Great job Dee, I absolutely love this series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/06/2011

    I LOVE IT ALL! Rog Walker is so cool :) I love Street Etiquette and I recognize some of his photos from around. Thank you for introducing me to the other 2, they are all equally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited about this post that I read it in a matter of seconds! I'm very familiar with Creative Silence & Rog Walker's work...amazing & inspirational. It really confirms my belief in not over-analyzing my work. Sometimes, simple is better & more effective. Purpose is also key. I'm going to check out King Texas asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow all these photo are just amazing. I really love the first set

    xoxo Monroe

    Fashion Steele NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..Im quite impressed! they are SO good...damn I like them all I mean I really couldn´t choose a favourite one..so much talent and thank you for letting us know about it!

    xx
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This are so inspiring... I absolutely love... Thanks for being a great medium!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my days..this is so poppin! Really is very inspirational, I love reading each photographers story. It really is like a look through their lens! What a perfect title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez! The images are so dope! I love photography! It's such a great art form.

    ~Sherine
    Check out my blog and follow if you like!
    Confessions Of A City Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have a good eye// thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing photos! WOW!
    Love it ;)

    thanks for the comment!
    marc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comment, you blog is visually stunning and the shots are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like always! Your work astounds me :) Rog Walker=AWesome :)
    XX

    Follow my blog? http://fortheloveoffashionandotherthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting on my blog,
    sooo glad you did and that I checked you out
    cause I'm actually in my photography lesson and Iwas struggling to find photographers that actually capture these kind of shots.
    Im soo thankful wooohooo
    Now I'm researching Rog Walker as artist inspiration :p xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! what an eye they have. I wish I were that talented with a camera

    http://say-bleurgh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. your pictures are amazing ... omg! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally stylish guys and the photography are awesome!!! like so so so professional :D

    www.themadtoter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, i forgot to breath. Your pictures are AMAZING, why did you ask me what cam i use ? :D can't understand but i have Canon 550D, and you?

    especially the first foto is so nice, where did you take it? and how do you edit your fotos?

    WOW; thank you for your cmt so much, otherwise i could't have the opportunity to see something that gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2/07/2011

    Great post! 3 REALLY talented photographers here! And LOL at the comment above mine, obviously someone didn't read the post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. really really great pictures! Compliment.

    Hope you'll pass my blog too ;)
    Modekarussell

    ReplyDelete
  20. All of these photos are so captivating and just stunning! Wish I could capture such shots!

    www.plentyforpennies.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow amazing pics ;)

    http://www.theupperfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG JOshua Kissi from Street Etiquette. I'm in loooove ;-) heheehe

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous2/07/2011

    Dear Dee,
    Thank you so much for the lovely comment on the store! That means alot to me!
    Secondly, this post is AMAZING! I love everything about it!
    Again, thank you!
    xo
    Ursula

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the comment and love the photos! Keep up with my blog at littlealeah.blogspot.com Follow me! and again the photos are awesomely deep

    ReplyDelete
  25. awesome! congrats! loving this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so cool! You choose the most interesting people to feature, I love all 3 of the photographers. Stunning Work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2/07/2011

    That good good for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. all of these photos are amazing, you featured some really talented photographers!

    jadepurplebrown.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all for showing so much love! These truly are 3 magnificent photographers! I look forward to sharing even more with you all in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. ooh oh. this such an amazing post. the photography is just BRILLIANT!
    thanks a million for sharing. and such an well put together post.
    hope you're having a great tuesday

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such an amazing post! I think I'm falling in love with Rob Walkers work, all the pictures are just sooo stunning..

    x

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your philosophy behind your photography and it shows! I especially enjoy the close up shots of the faces because it's very intimate and you captured a huge part of their personality. Yeah, I bought a DSLR but I saved up a lot for it so I'm quite proud of it actually :-) xooxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow! they're all gorgeous bt the first photographer had my attention...i just kept going back to view his work. i like this series, maybe because i'm such a poor photographer. lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. These photography feature is so amazing!!! I love all these artists!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Their work is so amazing =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. ur blog is great!

    love all the photos!

    the navajo blanket 2d pic is epic:)

    kiss

    ReplyDelete
  37. really enjoyed these photos. i like this series :) keep the great images coming.

    check out my jewelry giveaway http://simplychic08.blogspot.com/2011/01/i-want-to-give-way.html

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely amazing photos!
    Gorgeous post!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous2/10/2011

    oo my!
    these photographers are amazing.
    everytime i think im getting the hang of this photography business, im humbled by the talent of others such as those above!
    amazing!

    following you?
    definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing photos which of course makes it hard to pick a favorite. But I look forward to seeing more work from all three of these photogs. Everything posted here is so vibrant.

    http://mystylecanvas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. This photos are amazing (for real)!!!
    Thx for the visit ;-)
    I'm following you, your blog is nice!


    http://mareme-s-confessional.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous2/15/2011

    Everything is great! That's 9th Wonder in that last pic!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous2/15/2011

    Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That first photo is spectacular, well, they all are. I could stare at it forever - I've only just realised she's holding a hacksaw in her hand...

    http://coffeesmellsandlilacskin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love love these photographs- from the coloring to the scenes. Really awesome. The first two seem to have the same style! Sweet! I'm not really into architectural photography, but i love the way the third photographer mixed people and architecture (especially the one with the transposed woman).

    And yeah Ian, i actually stared at that first photo for a while lol

    xoxo
    Adiya

    I'm eagerly waiting for more of this series. I'm like a soon-to-be-talented photo freak lol

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your work is amazing - love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you all for the amazing feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This is a Really REALLY goot compilation. I just honestly wish more of this could be seen down where I am

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous4/13/2011

    ur blog inspires me, i LOVE LOVE it....wish i could give u a hug.

    ReplyDelete

TWITTER ///// FACEBOOK ///// BLOGLOVIN'

Copyright © 2010-2015 That GOOD GOOD Blog. All Rights Reserved.