July 16, 2010

Solange on Refinery 29



Solange Knowles is a lady who not only has style but, most importantly, her own unique style. She did an interview for Refinery 29 which was posted on the website on June 30. Consider this an “in case you missed it” post since this story isn’t fresh off the press, but since I am such a fan I just have to give my two cents...



Solange is such a unique individual, from her fashion sense to her music it is clear that she marches to the beat of her own drum. I always admire people who are able to establish their own style be their own person and still be phenomenal while doing so. The fact that she has a sibling very prominent in the industry yet has been able to firmly establish a name for herself adds to her appeal. I've always admired Solange's style, her wardrobe is very vibrant. When asked who her style heroes were Solange said, "My mom in the '70s and '80'a...also, Diana Ross, The Fela Kuti Queens, Björk, '70s-era Chaka Khan, Chloë Sevigny, '90s Erykah Badu."


When asked about her style weapon Solange said, “Shoes! I'm all about the shoes! I order a ton of them online and play with my entire wardrobe until I find the right shoe. Unfortunately, so many people get it right from the head until the ankles. The shoe is very important. I can't even fuck with you if your shoe game is slacking.” Too true girl, too true.


I am a huge fan of Solange’s music, one can definitely hear the ‘60s Motown inspiration in her album Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams which was released August 18, 2008. Solange is currently recording another album which I am looking forward to, I’ve already heard a few of the songs (Stillness Is the Move is my jam) & I am in love with what I have heard so far.    


"If anything, I feel like if I didn't have a sister who was a huge star, no one would think twice about how I look, because they would have no one to compare it to. I would just be another gal who wears loads of vintage or counts Grace Jones as inspiration. But because I'm Beyoncé's sister, I'm an easy target to say, 'There's no way those two had the same parents, and have one be naturally this way...this has to be a ploy for her to appear cool!' It makes me want to pull out pictures of five-year-old me next to nine-year-old her wearing a tutu over polka dot stockings and an old scarf over my head. It would be so much easier for me to put on a little black dress, straighten my hair, and sing about dancing in the club, but it's not my job to prove anything. I'm here to make music, to inspire myself. I'm not selling my likability, I'm sharing my journeys. If you don't like it, believe it's real, or understand it...then keep my name out of your mouth."


Because of her brilliant sense of style, her lively music, and her strong sense of individuality, it is very safe to say that Solange knows what’s good & she has got it times two. To read this interview in its entirety click here

Photo Credit: refinery29.com

5 comments:

  1. Alicia7/27/2010

    I don't really like Solange, but you managed to make her look nice! I like your commentary on the interview but some of the stuff she said sounded really cocky and I don't know if she has the goods to back up her ego.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you don't like Solange & I've actually heard people call her cocky a lot. Personally, I think she exudes confidence, but not in a bad way! I can't imagine how it must feel constantly being compared to her older sister...I have an older sister myself who is doing big things and I hate feeling like I'm living in her shadow but it is what it is. But give her another chance & give her music a chance if your haven't listened yet, it's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It would be so much easier for me to put on a little black dress, straighten my hair, and sing about dancing in the club, but it's not my job to prove anything. I'm here to make music, to inspire myself."

    wow whats that all about??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol yea she can come across as a little haughty but I think what she was trying to say is that it's so easy to be "normal"....when you said wearing the quintessential little black dress and straightening her hair I believe she is describing the way the industry likes female artists to look because it may be more acceptable. But instead of following everyone else Solange feels her purpose in the music industry was for something else, not to be like everyone else but instead to be her own person and to "inspire herself" by being different. She isn't trying to prove anything by being different but she just wants to be herself. That's just my interpretation of what she meant, I don't know if that's what she was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love her style...she is amazing. Lovely hair. I just cut all of my hair, going natural and i want mine to look exacly like hers.

    ReplyDelete

TWITTER ///// FACEBOOK ///// BLOGLOVIN'

Copyright © 2010-2015 That GOOD GOOD Blog. All Rights Reserved.